Home > For Innkeepers
Have you been thinking of starting your own Bed and Breakfast in Texas?
Have you searched for or already purchased that "perfect" property and wondering where you go from here? Have you been in business for a while, but still need assistance with marketing or other operations?
If any of these scenarios sound familiar, then you are probably inundated with information from various sources, including other states, and THAT can be very confusing! Let us lend a hand to get you back on track!
The Texas Bed and Breakfast Association (TBBA) can aid you to dramatically minimize your learning curve, your timeframes, AND YOUR INVESTMENT, to guide you realize your dream of owning a SUCCESSFUL Bed and Breakfast!
Innkeeping in Texas, the Innkeeper's Resource Manual specific to TEXAS operations, has recently been revised to include the most up-to-date information on the basics and ongoing operations of Innkeeping in Texas. When you order this invaluable resource manual, for a nominal fee of $150, you will receive literature on the following topics:
Click HERE for an order form for the Basic Innkeepers Resouce Manual
Click HERE for the complete copy of the Membership Standards
Click HERE for the Full Member Application
- Just What is Innkeeping?
- National Definitions & Distinctions of B&B/Inns
- The Inn Guest
- Starting a Business in Texas
- B&B Start-up
- Business Loans from the SBA
- Start-Up Books, B&B/Country Inn Seminar Opportunities
- Innkeeping & Lodging Associations
- Lodging Inspection & Rating Organizations
- B&B/Country Inn Journals & Newspapers
Standards & Regulations - State & Federal
- Government Agencies & Helpful Telephone Numbers
- Texas Health & Safety Code...
- "Americans with Disabilities Act" (ADA) - Excerpts
- Sign to post Limited Liability and Room Rates in rooms
Licensing, Fees & Taxes
- Overview of Licensing Requirements, Selecting a Business Structure
- Employer Requirements, Withholding Taxes
- Summary of Texas Unemployment Compensation Act
- Preservation Tax Incentives for Historic Buildings
- Understanding Insurance
- Types of Policies and Coverages
- Life Safety Tips
- Loss Control Guide
- Self-Inspection Procedure
- Customer Incident Investigation Procedure
- Appendix of Checklists
Marketing Your Inn
- Popular Bed & Breakfast Internet Directories
- Popular Bed & Breakfast Print Guidebooks
- What Goes in a Press Kit?
- Guidelines for Direct Marketing
Products & Services - Guide to Industry Vendors
- TBAA Associate Members
- Vendor Resources
Application Processing Fee
Upgrade within 1 year = waived
Full Inspection Fee ($75 re-inspection fee bi-annually)
Inspection / Board Approval
Voting privileges / Board participation
Reciprocal Lodging Program
Gift Certificate Program
TH&LA members - deduct $50 each year after 1st year
One time Marketing Fee: $100
Waived if TH&LA member)
Website listing & hyperlink to your site
Magazine & TV Advertising
Gold Seal Certificates
Texas Innkeeper’s Resource Manual
Free ($150.00 Value)
Free ($150.00 Value)
Renewal: Anniversary Date
Based on # rooms:
1-2 = $275
3-6 = $335
7-15 = $395
16-30 = $455
31+ = $515
* Fees subject to change
Why join as a Basic Member? If you believe that you are not in a position at this time to pass the inspection for Full Membership, becoming a Basic member will allow you to participate in all TBBA functions as a member and will give you all of the organization's opportunities to learn more about the business of Innkeeping. It will also allow you to have mentors, current Full members, who will be available to closely work with you to fine tune every aspect of your operation.
TBBA Basic Membership Program
Basic membership is a one-year program designed to introduce a property to all aspects of the small lodging industry and to prepare them for full membership in TBBA. It complements and expands upon what is introduced in the Innkeeping Basics Workshop.
1. Complete the Basic Membership Application.
2. Pay initial dues of $250.00 by check or credit card.
3. Send the application (mail or fax) to the TBBA Office. You will be notified of your actual date of membership.
Basic Program Benefits:
1. Mentoring/Consulting Program
a. You will be assigned two, TBBA full members who will be available to you as a resource. One of the properties will be approximately the same size as yours; the other will be the same type of property as yours.
b. Each of your mentors/consultants will contact you by phone on a recurring basis to answer any questions or concerns you may have and to give advice, if requested. At least one of your mentors will visit your property, to meet you personally, make suggestions, and to assist you in preparing for the initial certification of full membership
c. You will be provided with the TBBA Certification Checklist for you to conduct a self- inspection of your property.
2. The TBBA Inspectors will contact you by phone during the last six months of this program to explain the certification process and to answer any questions about its requirements.
3. Reciprocal Lodging – you will receive two coupons which will enable you to stay at each of your mentors’ properties during the year at no cost to you.
4. Innkeeping Basics Workshop (price not included, but will qualify for member rates)
a. This workshop includes a full day of classes, breakfast and lunch, and the opportunity to ask questions to a panel of innkeepers with over 50 years of experience between them
b. You will receive the Texas Innkeeper Resource Guide which contains references to virtually all the regulations you need to have in order to operate a bed and breakfast in the state.
5. Innkeeping Newsletter - you will receive the TBBA quarterly newsletter so that you can keep up with the organization and its members and be informed about pertinent issues for our industry.
6. You will be eligible to receive member pricing for the TBBA Annual Convention
7. You may take advantage of member discounts with all of our Vendor Partners who provide services and products to the lodging industry.
8. The application fee ($25.00) for full membership in TBBA, if you apply within 12 months will be waved. There will be a $125.00 inspection fee.
9. The initial certification visit for full membership in TBBA is included in your membership.
What is the Mentoring Program designed to do? This year-long program will assist you in learning and in getting your questions answered in a timely way. You will be assigned two or three Full members who match well with your property in terms of size, characteristics and location. Each mentor will be encouraged to visit your property at least once each year to give you opportunities for in-depth discussions. In turn you will want to visit their property to see how they operate. All mentors are, of course, available by phone for more immediate help. They will also introduce you to other TBBA members at regional meetings and our annual convention.
What is the Reciprocal Lodging Program? This program enables you to receive 2 reciprocal Lodging Coupons for 2 free nights lodging at other participating inns other than your mentors. They may be used as a getaway for you or just to meet another innkeeper; either way, it's just one more way to learn about the business of Innkeeping.
Click HERE for a copy of the Basic Member application form
Members Benefits are:
o Being included on the high traffic internet website that receives thousands of top-quality hits each month. Plus each property has a free hyperlink to its own home page through the Reciprocal Link Program.
o Being included in press releases and media coverage with special advertising rats in Texas Monthly and Texas Parks and Wildlife magazine.
o Those who belong to Texas Hotel and Lodging Association receive discount off dues to both organizations with the payment of yearly dues.
o Receiving the quarterly newsletter from TBBA
o Discounts on all conventions which provide extremely valuable education and networking opportunities.
o TBBA sells gift certificates to the public which can only be used at participating TBBA properties.
Most important is the camaraderie and networking our members enjoy with their peers and colleagues. The friendships and personal resources you can develop s a member will be invaluable to your success as and Innkeeping professional in Texas.
Click HERE for a Full Member Application
Texas Bed and Breakfast Association (hereinafter TBBA) is known for its premier properties and exacting standards of hospitality. A premier property is one that assures the highest levels of service, accommodation and comfort. Premier properties incorporate uniqueness, quality and professionalism.
1. The property must have architectural integrity inside and outside in keeping with the property’s aesthetic setting. Aesthetics include décor, setting, ambiance, furnishings, and service.
2. The décor must be compatible with the architecture and furnishings demonstrating an exacting standard of excellence.
3. If you own, operate, and/or advertise more than one property in Texas, all guest rooms will be subject to inspection for membership approval. In this context "operate" and "advertise" are intended to mean to do so in a way that gives the prospective guest the impression that the room or property is approved by TBBA.
Click HERE for a complete copy of the Membership Standards
Vendor Partners (Vendors and Businesses ONLY – not for Innkeepers)
Vendor Partner membership is for suppliers and vendors of services, products and resources that are critical for quality hospitality properties. Membership allows for frequent exposure to TBBA members.
Vendor Partners are:
- Promoted on the TBBA website
- Promoted in the TBBA quarterly newsletter
- Receives discounts on conventions, trade shows and newsletter ads.
Click HERE for an Vendor Partners application form