There are lots of good reasons to spend the holidays in Central Texas and the Texas Hill Country.
The weather is lovely–not too hot, not too cold. German, Czechoslovakian, and Mexican roots make for eclectic cultural, dining, and shopping experiences. And charming towns, such as Boerne, New Braunfels, Bastrop, Fredericksburg, and La Grange, have a host of festive activities. November and December are wonderful months to stay in Texas Bed and Breakfasts throughout Central Texas and the Texas Hill Country.
Festive Events Abound:
- Stop by Fredericksburg for the Yuletide Celebration on November 25, 2011, which features a 26 foot tall German Christmas Pyramid, a 30 foot Christmas tree with locally made German-style ornaments, and a whole Gingerbread Village.
- Skate outdoors on real ice in at the Eisbahn in Fredericksburg, November 25, 2011 through Jaunuary 1, 2012.
- Shop St. Nicolausmarkt, a traditional German Christmas Market in Fredericksburg, December 2 and 3, 2011.
- Experience Dickens on Main in downtown Boerne the two weekends after Thanksgiving. There will be live music, horse-drawn carriage rides, and even snow. It’s magical.
- Watch the Weihnachts Parade in Boerne on December 3, 2011, from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Head to Boerne Market Days, December 10 and 11, 2011. A fun outdoor crafts fair with antiques, jewelry, and bargains. Shop to outstanding live music.
- Browse the amazing Weihnachsmarkt, or Christmas market, of New Braunfels, November 18-20, 2011.
- Enjoy Wassailfest in New Braunfels, when all are invited to drink wassail and celebrate the holidays. December 1, 2011 at the Main Plaza.
- Visit Gruene Market Days, held the third weekend of November and the first weekend of December. Since all products sold are created by the vendors themselves, it’s a fabulous place to find unique gifts.
- Early December in La Grange is filled with special events such as the German Christmas and Trail of Lights at Monument HIll State Park, the Main Street Christmas Schmekenfest on the Square (say that three times fast), and the Czech Christmas Choral Concert. More information may be found at Monument Hill State Park.
Don’t just stay home this holiday season. Explore Central Texas and the Texas Hill Country. Enjoy hospitality at various Texas Bed and Breakfasts throughout the region. It’s a gift worth giving yourself.